A Bridge For Parish & Pastoral Outreach...
Bendito el Reino del Padre, del Hijo y del Espíritu Santo, eternamente, ahora y siempre y por los siglos de los siglos.
Recent US Census figures reveal that in the State of Texas, more than 50% of the population is now made up of various "minority" groups. In Texas, the largest percentage of those minorities classify themselves as being "Hispanic."
- In 2000, the U.S. Hispanic population was estimated to number 35.6 million.
- In 2005, the U.S. Hispanic population was estimated to have grown to 42.9 million, an increase of 20% since 2000.
- In 2005, Hispanics represented 14% of the total U.S. population but have accounted for 50% of the total U.S. population since 2000.
- By 2010, U.S. Hispanics are expected to approach 50 million and are projected to possibly rank as the 2nd-largest Hispanic population in the world, ranking only behind Mexico.
- By 2010, U.S. Hispanics that “speak some Spanish at home” are expected to number approximately 35 million, making U.S. Hispanics one of the largest “Spanish-speaking” populations in the world.
- In 2005, U.S. Hispanic purchasing power was estimated to be $715 billion with economic influence projected to grow upwards of $1 trillion by 2010 and reach approximately $3 trillion by 2025.
Source: Global Insight, The Hispanic Consumer Market in 2005 and Forecasts to 2025
Many Northern and Eastern urban area neighborhoods are now made up of largely Hispanic populations, Rather than "downsizing" older urban Orthodox Parishes or moving them into the suburbs, let us take up the commission of Christ to "teach all nations" and reach out to the neighbors we now have just outside our doors!
One purpose for this website is to be a resource and networking tool for Orthodox Pastors, Parishes and Laity interested in reaching, teaching and ministering to Spanish speaking people in the United States, Canada and elsewhere.
Take a few moments and read about some of the ways people, parishes and International Orthodox Organizations are reaching out in the articles linked under Mission Outreach.
How are you or your Parish meeting this challenge? What would be helpful to you?
We would love your comments, feedback and articles on this subject. Please send inquiries and submissions to our website email address.
Please see other pages in this website for Church Timeline in Spanish, Orthodox Liturgical Services in Spanish (& Portuguese), Spanish translations about Orthodox Christianity and for Spanish-language Orthodox Links, as well as to learn more about the Orthodox Church in Mexico.
Photos from various visits to Mexico and Orthodox Churches and Missions there are found at: